Monday, December 31, 2012

Why Am I Thus?--Gen. 25



"And the children struggled together within her; and she said, If it be so, why am I thus? And she went to enquire of the Lord. And the Lord said unto her,…" (Gen. 25:22, 23).

Isaac and Rebekah's happy marriage lacked but one thing: like Sarah before her, Rebekah was barren. Their union lacked children to make it complete.

So, Isaac took the matter to God, like the true man of God that he was.

"And Isaac intreated the Lord for his wife, because she was barren" (vs. 21).

After that, it says that "the Lord was intreated of him, and Rebekah his wife conceived" (vs. 21).

Her joy must've been completed when she learned of the blessing inside of her. A mother's happiness can only be told by a mother.

But as the months passed, things began to get difficult. Such struggling went on inside of her as she had never reckoned for, and at last, in desperation and pain, she asked, "Why am I thus?"

In other words, If this is how it's going to end up, why in the world did it have to happen in the first place?

Familiar echoes of a familiar voice reverberate in the mind.

But she didn't leave it there. Genesis says that "she went to enquire of the Lord" (vs. 22).

She asked the question. She asked why.

But she went and asked God what He was doing right away. "Lord, I know You have reasons for everything, but really, what are You doing? Why is this happening to me, inside of me?"

It takes faith to go to God and ask something like that.

But the point is not the faith it took to ask.

My point is that God answered.

God told her, plainly, what was going on. Two children are inside of you. One is stronger. The elder shall serve the younger.

And Jacob and Esau were born.

It is possible to ask questions along the lines of "why?" without a speck of faith to back the question.

But when you ask the question, enquire of the Lord, with faith that He will answer, HE WILL.

"Call unto Me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not" (Jeremiah 33:3).

Even though you cry, "Why am I thus?", the Lord has a reason.

And He will answer.

Lord, answer the cry of my heart… I query why is it thus with me; yet even so, show my the answer I cried for...

No comments:

Post a Comment