Sunday, January 27, 2013

Enough--Gen. 33



"And Esau said, I have enough, my brother; keep that thou hast to thyself" (Gen. 33:9).

Esau arrives. Falls on Jacob's neck and weeps aloud. Brother is reunited with brother, no blood is shed, and forgiveness washes away anger.

But then Esau asks questions. "Who are those with thee?...What meanest thou by the drove which I met?" (vs. 5, 8).

And Jacob answers both: "The children which God hath graciously given thy servant….These are to find grace in the sight of my lord" (vs. 5, 8).

And then Esau must've put his hand up, though smiling, as he uttered the next verse: "I have enough, my brother; keep that thou hast to thyself" (vs. 9).

Jacob insisted, however, and Esau accepted. The brother's parted ways then, and who knows whether they ever saw one another again. Their children and descendants warred with one another foreverafter, but the brothers had reconciled nonetheless.

It isn't the fact that they reconciled that brings home conviction. It's Esau's unpretentious statement: "I have enough."

In life, we are never satisfied. We never have enough. The old iPhone isn't good enough--surely the one with a different name and bigger case and fancier features will work better. The love of a friend isn't enough--surely a different kind would be more satisfying… The car isn't good enough...the camera isn't good enough...the house, the job, the income…

Nothing is ever enough.

And yet, we find one of the most selfish creatures in the Old Testament, headstrong, impulsive, for the most part, Godless, saying in all sincerity, "I have enough."

Shame on us.

When will we learn to say, "I have enough?"

The old phone, the old car, the old camera… the simple joys of friendship… the income, the house, the job…

We ought to learn to say, "I have enough."

And if God blesses with more, then praise the Lord.

For while Esau stated he had enough, he did receive the gift from Jacob's hand. He did accept it.

So may we accept extra blessings when the Lord sees fit to send them our way.

But til the blessing arrives, may each of us be found with Esau.

I have enough.

Lord, teach me to "be content with such things as I have"...

No comments:

Post a Comment