Sunday, November 25, 2012

Make Me Mighty--Gen. 10


 
"He was a mighty hunter before the Lord: wherefore it is said, Even as Nimrod the mighty hunter before the Lord." Gen. 10:9

I've always heard that Nimrod was a "bad guy," to use a clichéd term.

Regardless of what he was, this verse says something.

In the middle of a slough of names, this is said of Nimrod, the son of Cush, the son of...well, you get the point. He was a mighty hunter before the Lord.

It wasn't the fact that he was a mighty hunter that struck me. Esau was too.

It was that he was a mighty hunter before the Lord.

Mighty. Before the Lord.

And inspiration chooses to point this out right in the middle of a genealogy. Why, I wonder? Well, I guess it's pretty simple.

In the middle of a sea of names--common, ordinary names--is one more common, ordinary name; rendered important because of being mighty before the Lord. 

I, too, am in the middle of a sea of people. Every day of my life, no matter where I am in this old world. Does my name stand out because I am mighty before the Lord?

I'm afraid it hasn't been.

In the end, heavenly beings and redeemed man will review the records. My name will be recorded somewhere, amid other countless millions. Will my name be found within the pages of the Lamb's book of life, standing out in all God's glory because through Him, I was mighty before His face in the earth?

I don't know.

What I do know is that that's what I want.

Nimrod. King, "bad guy," son of Cush--mighty before the Lord.

Bad guy in the end or no, I want that.

Lord, make me mighty before Your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment